Thursday, March 4, 2010

Makeshift Drying Cabinet for Pottery - Studio Tip

I'm having better luck with the porcelain.  Actually it's not so much better luck, but learning to work with the quirks of porcelain. I used one of my metal racks and made a makeshift drying cabinet.

 Heavy plastic, packing tape and velcro... Voila :)

UPDATE:   After a year I scrapped the velcro. I converted the door seal to close with
 "rare earth" magnets instead.  I used packing tape to secure them.  It works fantastic!

Creating an environment where the piece can dry evenly is key. I haven't had one cracked or warped pot since I started using the drying cabinet.

All designs, photos and content herein are owned by and ©copyright Cindy Gilliland 2010.




5 comments:

  1. Ooooh, excellent. Just bought a wire rack to use as shelves beside my wheel. I am going to follow your example and use it as a drying rack! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea. I usually just cover stuff with thin plastic, but I do lose some to cracking. Perhaps I'll put that on my 'to do' board. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy..yes, 'hail to tape and velcro!' :) works like a charm.

    love the little bowl in the bottom picture.
    Take care. T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great bowl on the bottom and what a great tip for a drying cabinet. I've been drying my stuff in cabinets and I suppose it holds in some of the moisture, but your idea is tops, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've been thinking about something along these lines for a wet cabinet and wondering how it would work. i'm glad you posted this, i've been wondering how to get a "door" on it. hadn't thought of velcro, very good idea!

    ReplyDelete