Sunday, May 29, 2011

7 Sacred Pools of Maui ~ Hawaii Red Clay Nesting Bowl Set

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am obsessed with Hawaii... especially Maui!  I suffer through the excessive grog and stained hands (oh, poor me, right?) of that Laguna Hawaiian Red Clay because I love the rich warm red results.    This 7 Sacred Pools of Maui Nesting Bowl Set, which BTW I just listed on Etsy, was inspired by love for Maui.  Just look at this paradise. 
 These waterfall pools actually tapper down a hill toward the ocean.  I would love to be there right now, especially since it was snowing at my house this morning.
I used 4 different blue glazes. Of course I left the outer area unglazed because I just can't cover up all that fantastic red clay.  After firing, the exposed clay does have a bit of grog lift, but I run a piece of sand paper over it and it smooths out very nice. 
 
I took these outdoor photos a couple days ago.  The sky was full of dark purple clouds, which really allowed the glaze colors to pop.  I lucked out because within a minute after I was done shooting, it began to hail.  That's Spring in Sierra Nevada.
I'm pretty excited that these bowls came out so cool :)