Counter Top Compost Crock
I made three crocks. The one above is the smallest of the three.
My last post left off with me trying to figuring out how to make a vented lid that would accommodate a charcoal filter. Here's what I decided on....
I threw a lid with a flange that was pulled inward to secure a commercially made charcoal filter disc.
For the large crock I decided to go with an over the rim covered lid. I made a custom sleeve to fit a small filter.
Using my biscuit cutters, I cut a doughnut shape.
I formed it onto one of my hump molds to get the shape I needed. I left it there until it got soft leather hard.
I carved the vent holes, scored, applied magic water and attached the custom piece to the underside of the lid.
For a nice finished look and to assure a strong attachment, I sealed the seam with clay.
This is the finished custom filter sleeve for the flat lid.
After I attached the strap handle, I applied wax resist on the top side of the custom sleeve, so it would dry slow and hopefully not crack.
So that's about it. It was a fun project and I learned a lot. I'll post a photo once they are glazed and fired.
Thanks for reading and happy clay days :)
All designs, photos and content herein are owned by and ©copyright Cindy Gilliland.