Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pottery Compost Crocks - "Part Two - Lids"


Counter Top Compost Crock

I made three crocks. The one above is the smallest of the three.

My last post left off with me trying to figuring out how to make a vented lid that would accommodate a charcoal filter.  Here's what I decided on....

I threw a lid with a flange that was pulled inward to secure a commercially made charcoal filter disc.

For the large crock I decided to go with an over the rim covered lid.  I made a custom sleeve to fit a small filter.
Using my biscuit cutters, I cut a doughnut shape. 
I formed it onto one of my hump molds to get the shape I needed. I left it there until it got soft leather hard.
I carved the vent holes, scored, applied magic water and attached the custom piece to the underside of the lid.

For a nice finished look and to assure a strong attachment, I sealed the seam with clay.
This is the finished custom filter sleeve for the flat lid.
After I attached the strap handle, I applied wax resist on the top side of the custom sleeve, so it would dry slow and hopefully not crack.

So that's about it.  It was a fun project and I learned a lot.  I'll post a photo once they are glazed and fired.

Thanks for reading and happy clay days :)

All designs, photos and content herein are owned by and ©copyright Cindy Gilliland.

10 comments:

  1. Very nice! I am embarrassed to say I use a commercially made ceramic canister on my counter for this purpose... someday I may have to make one to replace it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele, Thanks :)
      Time, materials and most of all kiln space, may make this piece a little too expensive for what it is. However, even though pricey, all three of the crocks were quickly spoken for. I guess a lot of people out there are composting and want something pretty on their counter top.
      If you decide to make some, please blog about it. I would love to what you make.

      Delete
  2. I too have a commercial one on my counter but when I need another I'm inspired to make it. I like the carving and texture details you've added to your crocks, they look great! I'm sure your customers will be happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina. I can't help but decorate my pottery. I love to carve flower stamps and go wild on my pots :)

      Delete
  3. Love it! Love all your work! You are very talented, it's inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Jo-Ann. That means a lot coming from another clay artist :)

      Delete
  4. All three crocks are spoken for!! Oh well, such is life! I will have to try and move on and be happy with my bow1, lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been helpful as I've been thinking about making a compost crock lately. My design is a little different, I'm thinking about venting in the base but I had not thought about adding a place for a charcoal filter so I appreciate that idea. Thanks, this is quite helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori, Another thing to consider is making two lids to make the crock multi-purpose. One with vents and a filter sleeve for use as a compost crock and a second lid with out a vent for use as a large storage jar. Even though I used porcelain blend and they are on the heavy and expensive side, I am happy with how they turned out. I'm looking forward to making more, but using a medium grog clay. When you make your crock, I hope you will blog about it. I'm excited to see what you make. :)

      Delete