Thursday, April 24, 2014

Glaze testing and listening to Podcasts


 While mixing test glazes I listened to "Tales of a Red Clay Rambler" podcast for the first time.   It was episode 61 which featured Kristen Kieffer, Julia Galloway, and Michael Kline.  It was so good!   I also listened to the Steven Hill episode.  I really enjoyed it.   

Ben Carter does an excellent job hosting.  BTW.. He will be teaching a workshop this summer at Sierra Nevada College.   I might just have to figure out a way to fit the workshop into my budget.  Anyway,  if you haven't already listened to "Tales of a Red Clay Rambler" podcast, you should.  It's a treat.
 
One of my 2014 goals is to make more of my glazes and do more experimenting.  Buying commercial glaze is crazy expensive and very unfulfilling. 
I'm testing 10 new glazes.  All different base recipes.  
I'm hoping to find some new base glazes that I like, which also work well with my clay body.   Then I can try some blend experiments ala John Britt and see what kind of trouble I get into.
John Britt gave a glaze chemistry workshop at Sierra Nevada College several years ago.  That class was the first time I ever made glaze.   I was fairly new to making pottery and I had no idea how over my head I was.
Everyone else in the class were total glaze freaks and there I was pretending like I had half a clue. 
So John helped me a lot.  He taught me how to convert a recipe and run blend testing.   When the week was over, John told me to take his class again in a few years.   LOL.  
Slow but sure, I'm still working on it and still trying to figure it all out.

Happy glaze day :)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy... Good luck with the glazing process. :).. I need to make some more as well, but I do not like the process..and,yes, much less expensive than buying. Also want to listen to the podcasts, but having trouble getting it to work. Good creative day to you. Trish from Alberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trish, The more I learn about glaze, the more I like the process. Regarding the podcast, If you go to the Red Clay Rambler website via the link above, you can sign-up and Ben will send new episodes directly to you via email.

      Delete
  2. I had a similar experience with John, took a workshop early on in my pottery days and had no clue what anyone was talking about. I took another one a few years later and learned soooo much because I understood the language. Glaze chemistry is a lifelong learning process it seems. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracey, You refer to "understanding the language".
      It's true. To become fluent in terms and chemicals would make understanding concepts way less complicated.

      Delete
  3. John really gives great glaze classes, he's smart and funny. Their is so much to learn that you might feel like your head is going to explode. He's right about coming back after making glazes for a while, you'll have an entirely different view and lots of questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the glaze chemistry posts. I'm at the same point..kind of. I am intimidated but inspired with the idea of creating my own glazes. And when we move and I have a bigger space with room to store glaze components, I intend on getting my feet wet. So you can be sure I'm following ya on this topic! lol

    ReplyDelete