Sunday, May 31, 2015

Saying "sorry no" to custom orders

It's been a couple of years since I said yes to a custom order. The last custom request helped me make a decision.

The order was for 10 large (24 ounce) custom glaze mugs.  When it came time for the customer to buy them, he declined because the mugs turned out to hold 2 ounces less than what he wanted. Even though I had previously disclosed that the capacity would be an approximate.   He wanted me to start over and make more, but I was done with him and done with requests. 


Stormy Mugs
by DirtKicker Pottery

I won't say that all of my custom orders were a bad experience, but most were overly time consuming due to the back and forth planning and confirming that I understood the customers vision.  Custom request orders were never a good fit with my work style, plus they stress me out really bad. 

When a special request comes in, I no longer hesitate,  I just say "So sorry, I don't make custom requests, but I appreciate your interest in my pottery".  

Some potters thrive on the challenge of custom orders. Glad they do, because someones gotta do it and it's not me. 

It is a little difficult to say no, when the request comes from a return customer.  I explain as nicely as possible and hopefully they understand.  

All designs, photos and content herein are owned by and ©copyright Cindy Gilliland 2015.