2019 has been kind of a crazy and awesome year for sure.
This year I've made a lot of hand-built pots and experimented with new decorating techniques. I love to paint with watercolor and now I'm bringing that to my pottery.
Watercolor Daisy Mug
There have been compatibility issues with slip, stains and underglaze on my mid-fire porcelain. Little by little I worked out the problems and learned a bit more about glaze chemistry. Watch my Etsy Shop for new inspirational and romantic theme pottery.
I've always loved adding slip trail details to my pottery. I love the texture on the finished pots. This is how I make my slip.
* Clay (I use the same clay body, that I use for making pots)
* A mixing cup or bowl
* Distilled water
* Immersion blender
I shred moist clay
(helps with dust control
let it dry out completely
Put about 1 cup of distilled water in a mixing cup, then slowly add dry shredded clay until the clay stops absorbing water and a layer of dry clay accumulate above the water line. Let the clay and water sit for 20 minutes.
Mix with the immersion blender until nice soft peaks happen.
Store in a wide mouth air-tight container.
squeeze the air out of the slip trail bottle and submerge opening into slip to fill.
So last year I really set myself up for a long term glaze nightmare. It started last May when my Mom passed away. I was sad for a long time and I spoiled myself in the studio. For 8 months I worked only my favorite part of the making process. I threw on the wheel, hand-built and illustrated on pots. I didn't glaze or glaze fire and I didn't sell pots. So you can imagine what 8 months of making left me with. Tons of detail glazing, taking photos, measuring and listing new pottery for sale. For me, that's the tedious work part of the process. I don't mind spending a few days glazing, but I do mind spending a few months glazing. A lot is lost when there is a long stretch between firings. Ideas are forgotten and inspiration is cloudy. Also, technique gets rusty and results are not as good as they should be. Procrastinating the glaze work is not something new for me. It's been a problem always.
SO FROM NOW ON.. I will not allow my making process to go beyond the number of pieces that it takes to fill "one" glaze kiln. A promise I'm making to my future self. I can do this! My Spring-Summer pottery is finally starting to make it's way out of the glaze kiln. Now it's time to get it sold and make room for what comes next!
Let me just say, 2016 was a very tough year and I'm glad it's over and done. Even though the year had too many difficulties, none can compare with the loss of my darling Mother in May. Last month we had a dishwasher leak destroy our kitchen. A lot of water damage happened in our home. Lucky for us we had my pottery studio which we turned into a temporary living space. So again, pottery making time is minimal. Dealing with insurance and no kitchen has been frustrating. The blessing is that my 51 year old kitchen is finally getting a total remodel. My last glaze firing was in April 2016. I've been making pottery, I just haven't been glazing. I have probably 3 or 4 kiln loads of bisque. All one of kind adorable pieces waiting for me to mask and detail glaze. Not sure when I'll be able to get back to work in the studio. Praying that the kitchen repairs and remodel go fast.
Sledding Day with Grandkiddos
Always forward with a positive spirit! I will look for the blessings in each day and face the challenges with faith. Love to all and Happy New Year! *Cindy